Saturday, August 25, 2012

REVIEW - NUDE NUNS WITH BIG GUNS




It’s not as easy as you might think it is to make an exploitation flick.

Wait, scratch that and revise.

It’s not as easy as you might think it is to make a decent exploitation flick.

Making an exploitation flick is probably pretty simple if you’ve got fifty bucks, a camera, and an actress willing to take her shirt off.

The reason the 70’s exploitation stuff works so well (some of it anyway) is because it’s a direct sign of the time in which it was created. When you settle in for an afternoon viewing of Coffy or Foxy Brow, or The Mack or The Warriors or The Big Bird Cage or even, arguably, Enter The Dragon you’re immersing yourself in a very specific time and place. You’re drenching yourself in the sweaty, bushy-crotched, feathered-hat celluloid of the 60’s and the 70’s at its most extreme. Even if you weren’t alive in the 70’s and nostalgia isn’t necessarily possible by the definition of the word, those moves feel nostalgic. It’s sort of like watching a John Hughes flick from the 80’s, if John Hughes had liked boobs and pimps a bit more. It’s difficult for a modern day exploitation flick to match that feeling. It just is. It’s always going to be.

Plus, if all you’re looking for is bare-chested women, it’s a heck of a lot easier to find them these days.

Believe it or not, Nude Nuns With Big Guns is a real move. It’s a real movie that was available for free though Netflix and I actually took an hour and a half out of my day to watch it. Apparently my time means very little to me.

Released in 2010 Nude Nuns With Big Guns tells the story of a nun named Sister Sarah (Asun Ortega) who gets dealt a raw deal by a corrupt clergy, pumped with drugs and raped repeatedly. As you can imagine, this pisses her off just a smidge. She tosses aside her bra, gets her hands on some guns, and sets out for a little ultra violence and lesbian smooching. It’s pretty basic stuff and even that stuff barely passes for anything I’d really consider a story. In fact, I feel a little silly even attempting to summarize it - almost as silly as I feel bothering to review it.

Why am I writing this again?

In any case, the movie is just bad. (No surprise there.) Don’t go thinking that I’m the sort of person who’s offended by this stuff, because I’m not. I’m not that guy at all. In fact, sexy lesbian nun smooches might actually make it onto my list of one hundred favorite things.  When I say that Nude Nuns with Big Guns is a bad movie it’s because I really think it’s a bad movie. It’s poorly made. I’m fully aware of the fact that the words poorly made are par for the course when it comes to these sort of films, and arguably part of the charm. There’s no charm to be had here though. None.

The lesbian nun smooches aren’t even all that great.

The movie is boring. I found myself struggling to keep my eyes open fifteen minutes in. The first half hour felt like an hour. The first hour felt like three. By the time the movie mercifully came to a conclusion I may as well have sat through an unrated directors cut of Das Boot.

Nude Nuns with Big Guns was an annoying endeavor. While there are indeed a few nude nuns only one of them really wields a gun and that gun seemed mostly standard issue.

Her other guns weren’t all that big either.

Just saying.

There are much better exploitation films out there than this one and if you’re in the mood for boobs and guns, and terrible acting and terrible music, my suggestion is to go to the source. Find an old Pam Grier movie and put that on. No one has the charisma of a Pam Grier in this pile of nothing. Heck, no one even has the charisma of Richard Roundtree. Every second of Nude Nuns with Big Guns is uninteresting. Every minute is dull.  They tricked me with that catchy title. They reeled me in slapped me in the face with boredom. Believe it or not, I’ve seen a penis’ get blown off by a handgun in a movie before and I’ve seen it get blown off better.

Yep, I just typed that sentence.

-STEVEN 

No comments:

Post a Comment